Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stuff no one is interested in but I feel like writing about anyway

I had the longest day at work today. I think for the last 2 hours of it I just stared at my computer screen, I was so tired. I normally like my 10 hour days, but today I was pretty useless after the first 8.

It started out with the mystery of "Why is someone else's letter scanned into my case file and where did MY letter go?" Not thrilling, but I needed answers. I was seriously concerned that the mayor of Lynch, KY (I shit you not) got a letter intended for some random gas station. Turns out that all was well. He called me to tell me his mom's dying (there's always a dead relative lurking in the shadows in this job) and needs to reschedule our meeting. If I had a nickel...

So then I had to track down a missing check. The attorney for this case SWEARS they sent it in, but we do not have it. There was much hand wringing. I told them to just cancel the check and send us a new one. Seemed simple to me, but that's bureaucracy for you.

Umm, what else? A random pointless meeting to update us on stuff we could look up for ourselves, rescheduling of the afore mentioned meeting with Lynch, dealing with an upset citizen who's afraid she's getting black lung from a mine I used to have an open case on. Dealing with our regional office and mining's regional office to get one of them to actually do something about the coal ash all over this lady's house. Technical mysteries with data issues between our database and EPA's database and the software we use to report from ours to theirs.

What did I really want to do today? Start on the six new cases I got yesterday (it never ends!) and schedule some conferences.

Blah. I like my job and most days I have the luxury of dealing with whatever I feel like dealing with that day, which is nice. Today was just one of those days when everything happens all at once.

In less stress-y news, I am kicking ass in my family bracket challenge. Because I know all.

The end.

No comments: