Monday, August 18, 2008

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

Not much new in my world. I've been busy, though. I don't feel busy, but I recently tried to find a time to meet up with a friend and it was more complicated than I thought it would be!

Jimmy and I made an impromptu trip to Florence this weekend to help his mom move. As completely tired of moving as I am, I'm glad we were able to come help. I'm a little further away than I was in Georgetown (about an hour and a half now) but we were able to swing by and see my parents for a little bit before we had to get back to Shelbyville. Next weekend I'm going with my mom to Bowling Green (KY) for my cousin and grandmother's birthday celebration. And the NEXT weekend we're doing a joint birthday thing in Florence for me and Adam! Thats also the weekend we can reserve our wedding venue, so we're going to take moneybags (my mother) to see the place and then put down the deposit.

On the work front... I had negotiation training at work this week. As part of it, we had to take the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator. I was an INFJ (the mystic). Less than 1% of the population are INFJs. We're more likely to be psychic and/or geniuses! I'm not surprised.. :) Here's part of the overview:

"Beneath the quiet exterior, INFJs hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power.

INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless. The concept of 'poetic justice' is appealing to the INFJ.

"There's something rotten in Denmark." Accurately suspicious about others' motives, INFJs are not easily led. These are the people that you can rarely fool any of the time. Though affable and sympathetic to most, INFJs are selective about their friends. Such a friendship is a symbiotic bond that transcends mere words.

INFJs have a knack for fluency in language and facility in communication. In addition, nonverbal sensitivity enables the INFJ to know and be known by others intimately.

Writing, counseling, public service and even politics are areas where INFJs frequently find their niche."

Crazy, because I've been thinking a lot about activism lately. Pretty soon after the wedding I want to go back to school. I'm not sure what I want to do specifically, but I've always felt a strong tug toward human-rights work. Thats so broad, though. I really need to figure out specifically where I want to be, then do what I need to do to get there. Maybe that means law school, maybe its a masters in a specific field. I have some time, but I want to get some goals laid out before I get too wrapped up in wedding stuff.

I'm normally good at perspective. I'm a forest person, not a tree person. I don't need everything to be perfect so I have high hopes for myself to not lose sight of the important thing (marrying Jimmy) in a sea of really silly details (cake, centerpieces, flowers). My mom on the other hand...

Look for a post about wedding things soon!

Later Days,
Laura

No comments: